Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Hating on Housewives

I hate the term housewife. To me it screams cooking, cleaning and making home life as easy as possible for your husband. I'm going to be upfront and say that I don't agree with said housewives. I don't think that just because I'm a woman I should be the one responsible for all of the cooking and the cleaning. I feel that men should contribute around the house just as much by doing laundry, dishes, vacuuming, cooking, scrubbing toilets, etc.

Gender stereotypes drive me nuts.

I hope to raise my boys so that they don't once think of mopping the floor as a "woman's job" or fixing a rickety chair a "man's job", for example. If I have it my way they will be an equal contributor to their household no matter what the chore.

I love that my man holds his own around the house and in doing so is a wonderful role model for the boys. Yeah I might have to ask him to help me every now and then but he has no problem helping when asked. It's also great that he's a dang good cook because I'm awful in the kitchen (I just melted a plastic bowl on a burner yesterday..).

Even though I don't agree with the woman doing everything around the house I have to admit that it feels great when I have the place put together, dinner on the table and he can come home and put his feet up for the night.

Just as long as it isn't an every day thing ;-)

Are you a housewife? What's your opinion on this matter? I'd love to hear it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of the term housewife either. I am a stay at home mom. I stay at home to take care of the kids not the house. Jeremy still helps out with household chores even though I am home all day. Homemaker sounds so much better even than housewife.

    ReplyDelete