Pages

Friday, January 15, 2016

Review of The Night Circus



[For the record, I've never written a book review before. So, here goes nothing!]

I set a hefty goal for myself to read 40 books in 2016. I usually read about 5 books a year so that might put it into perspective how big of a goal this is. 

Book #1 - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

This book came highly recommended to me by a few people so I was really excited to dive in and kick off the year with a great book! 

The Night Circus is about a circus unlike any other. It randomly pops up in different towns, never giving notice to where it will be and when. Along with that, it opens at sundown and closes at dawn. There's a competition happening during the circus between two young magicians, Celia and Marco. They've been training their whole life for this competition but they have no idea that the winner is declared when there's only one of them left standing.. literally. But then, they fall in love and throw the whole competition into a whirlwind of chaos. 

The author does a wonderful job of setting up every scene, giving a tremendous amount of detail. So much so that you feel as if you're right there in the circus experiencing it first hand. I love when books have that power to pull you into a different time and place, allowing you to easily escape reality.

I found that the author gave so much backstory and so much detail that it took hundreds (and hundreds) of pages to get to the part I was most anticipating.. the love story. To me, it moved far too slow. I never really felt hooked. I never felt like I couldn't put it down. In all honesty, I found I had to force myself to sit down and read it sometimes. I thought it would take me at most a week to finish (500+ pages) when it took me fourteen days! 

All in all, I loved the imagination of the author. This was a book unlike any other I had read before. The details given were fantastic. It was just too slow moving for me. 

I'll give it a 3/5. 






No comments:

Post a Comment